ENCOUNTER THE DIVIDE (Kaçkar Mountains) – On this tour, you will have the opportunity to travel through two separate ecosystems. The Kaçkar Mountains divide the humid Black Sea region from the meadowlands on the rain shadow side of the mountains. One side of the mountains is classified as a humid subtropical climate, full of lush vegetation and beautiful mountain vistas. The other side boasts beautiful grass meadows, warm sun and a rocky landscape. This tour will bring you to the summit of Mount Kaçkar, the highest peak in the Kaçkar range and the 4th highest peak in Turkey at 3,937m (12,917 ft). The area is filled with beautiful lakes and stunning views. This trip will not only allow you to experience beautiful scenery, but offers a depth of culture. There continues to be families in this region that will migrate during the summer months up the mountains to small summer villages, herding a few sheep and cattle and producing fresh cheese and yogurt. Along this tour, you will encounter several of these small villages and have the opportunity to interact with the locals.
Day 1: ARRIVAL AND PREP.
Day 2: BEGIN TREKKING
Day 3: KAÇKAR SUMMIT
Day 4: KAVRON VALLEY
Day 5: RETURN TO AYDER
Day 6: TRAVEL TO TRABZON
- Transfers to and from the Erzurum airport
- Transfer to the Trabzon airport
- 1 night Hotel accommodation in Yusufeli.
- 1 night Hotel accommodations in Ayder.
- Mountain Guide
- Food and drinks on the mountain
- Entrance fees to all attractions
- Personal climbing equipment
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Gratuity for guides and porters
- Food at local Restaurants
- Tents (if requested)
- General Safety equipment. The guide will carry all necessary safety equipment, including general first aid items.
- Sleeping Bag – suitable for 0°C (32°F) minimum temperature (depending on the season).
- Sleeping Mat – something to provide insulation from the cold ground and a little extra comfort.
- Backpack – 50L to 80L size (large enough to fit your gear and some group food)
- Hiking shoes suitable for 4 hours of hiking on rough terrain each day. You will also want light, comfortable shoes to where around the camp.
- Warm and waterproof materials. You will want multiple layers for the change in weather and physical activities. See recommended clothing for more information.
- Trekking poles are recommended but not necessary.
- Gloves (for cold nights)
- Sunblock and SPF lip cream/gloss
- Water Bottle and optional thermos
- Personal Toiletry kit
- Blister Kit (tape or second skin)
- First Aid items – bandages and light pain relief medication.
- Camera – the views are stunning and you will want to capture the experience.
- Warm socks – bring additional pairs and something that will help prevent blisters, such as Moleskin.
- Warm pants – something that you feel comfortable climbing in.
- T-shirt – something light and comfortable, moisture wicking material is preferable.
- Long sleeve layer – preferably fleece layer to add warmth and stay dry.
- Jacket – you might want a couple layers, something that is wind and waterproof. The Black Sea side of the mountains can be wet so be prepared.
- Warm Hat – something for warmth at night and during the last day of climbing.
- Additional Sweater – this is something to wear on the cold night and as an additional layer if needed.